Diabetes mellitus or more commonly known as diabetes, is the biggest health challenge of our times. Mostly prevalent as type 1 diabetes (in which the body does not produce insulin) and type 2 diabetes (in which the body does not produce enough insulin or the insulin that is produced does not work properly), this condition is a slow killer. Someone with diabetes will have common symptoms like fatigue, weight loss, excessive thirst, increased urination, cut and bruises that heal slowly and also blurred vision at times. The only way to control diabetes apart from medicines, if it’s high, is to keep your blood sugar levels under control and lead a healthy lifestyle. Now it’s possible to live a normal life even if you are diabetic as we know a lot of natural remedies for diabetes and blood sugar level control.
With over 50 million diabetics, India is the diabetes capital of the world. Thankfully awareness levels have gone up now and there are various natural ways by which we can treat diabetes at home. Here is a list of what to eat and what not to eat:-
Effective Home Remedies for Diabetes
- Avoid refined sugar as it spikes blood sugar level rapidly and at times even the natural form like honey can cause a sudden spike in the blood sugar levels.
- Avoid grains that have gluten as its intake can lead serious auto immune diseases.
- Alcohol not only damages your liver but also attacks the pancreas that produces insulin hence alcohol consumption is directly related to diabetes. Anything beyond two to three glasses a day is considered a complete no and even beer should be avoided because it carries lot of carbohydrates.
- At times cow’s milk can also trigger the immune system though milk coming from sheep and goat is safe as it helps to maintain the blood sugar level.
- GMO foods have the capability to promote diabetes along with causing liver and kidney diseases. Go for products which are labeled as GMO-free.
- Cinnamon is a known stimulant for insulin activity, cinnamon contains a bioactive compound that can help fight and prevent diabetes.
- Aloe Vera is bitter in taste, but combining it with buttermilk makes it taste better. Usually, aloe Vera is used for beauty purposes but as it has anti-inflammatory properties it can heal the wounds. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is said to control the blood sugar levels.
- Consuming approximately 100 grams of Jamun every day is said to show tremendous improvement in your blood sugar levels as Jamun leaves have proven to be helpful in lowering the blood sugar levels.
- Recent studies have shown that consuming approximately 600 mg of Vitamin C daily can improve the blood sugar level. People who have chronic diabetes should consume foods rich in Vitamin C every day like amla, orange, tomato and blueberry.
- Remember the bitter gourd? Not many like the taste of it but it can really do wonders to keep your blood sugar levels in control. Have it as a stir fried side dish or extract the juice and consume on an empty stomach in the mornings. Make it a regular part of your eating chart and you can notice the difference.
Last but not the least is that every diabetic needs to exercise. It can be any kind of physical activity like yoga, Zumba, aerobics, gym, playing sports. Even walking every day can help to reduce the blood sugar level tremendously. As much as healthy eating is crucial, a good fitness regime is also mandatory. These along with Ayurveda supplements can help a diabetic lead a normal life just like the rest of the world.