Diabetes is an ailment wherein blood sugar or blood glucose level goes up consistently. Prevention is better than cure and so by following certain rules we can keep our blood sugar level stable to control diabetes which is the main cause of diabetes.
We are aware of the fact that any kind of disease requires immediate treatment as otherwise it may get aggravated. People are not aware of the mishaps of diabetes which can cause obesity, kidney complications and heart ailments.
Diabetes has no treatment via drugs till this date but it can be controlled by keeping a check on the blood sugar level. Right diet can become a wondrous treatment for this disease.
To start about the do’s and don’ts of Diabetes we come to following rules:
- Avoid junk and sugary food. The reason being, carbohydrates metabolism acts faster and thereby elevate the sugar level.
- Intake lot of water.
- Take fibrous food.
- Abstain taking three square meal. Rather take five small meals through the day to keep blood glucose levels stable.
- Then comes vegetables which need to be taken in diet. These are Spinach, Bitter Gourd, Okra, Eggplant, Sweet potato, Kale and Carrots
- Avoid taking Potatos, Corn and Peas
- There are certain Nuts and seeds which are good for health of these patients. They are Fenugreek seeds, Sesame Seeds, Date, Almonds, Walnuts and Pistachios.
Following is the list of fruits that are advantageous for diabetic patient:
- Apple a day keeps doctor away. They contain antioxidants which reduce cholesterol levels, boost the immune system and cleanse the digestive system. They also help in digestion of fats.
- Orange– It is a Citrus fruits that is rich vitamins A and C, which act as powerful antioxidants.
- Guava– Guavas are rich in vitamin A and vitamin C and has good amount of dietary fiber. This is good for constipation which is commonly suffered by diabetics.
- Pears– These fruits are rich in vitamins and fibre.
- Peaches– They are good for diabetes patient.
- Kiwi– They are good for diabetics but should be avoided in diabetic nephropathy patients due to high potassium content.
- Berries– They are rich source of antioxidants. All kind of berries like Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries and blackberries are good for diabetes patients.
- Starfruit– They are good for diabetics as they helps to lower sugar but at the same time should be avoided in diabetics with renal problems.
- Cherries– Cherries have very low GI and are good for diabetics.
- Black Jamun– Last but not the least black jamun is good for diabetes.
There are certain Myths and facts about Diabetes.
They come as following
Carbohydrates are taken to be harmful for diabetic patients.The carbohydrate having low glycemic index (GI) can be taken by diabetic patients. It could be oatmeal, whole grain bread, dried beans and legumes and low starch vegetables like spinach, tomatoes and Broccoli.
Eating sugar causes diabetes
According to American Diabetes Association , intake of sugar in lot of quantity is not alone the cause of diabetes. Overweight, high Blood pressure, living sedentary mode of life is certain risk factors that can lead to Diabetes. Drinks like sodas and fruit punches, are high in empty calories, and recent studies have come out with the fact that there is high risk of diabetes. Other form of sweets is not the cause of diabetes.
Starchy foods are forbidden
Starchy foods contain carbohydrates, and so they can fit into meal plan.
Diabetes diet can include any kind of fruits. It is true that some fruits contain more natural sugars than others but still one can enjoy any of them on sticking to the proper portion.
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1/2 cup cubed mango
- 3/4 cup cubed pineapple
- 1 1/4 cups strawberries
So Diabetes can be controlled by following certain rules in life
Sugar-free products are healthy
It is generally taken for granted to eat sugar-free, processed foods. Even sugar free products contain a lot of carbohydrates, fat, or calories. So, check nutrition label for the total carbohydrate content.
Precaution of the food while taking medication
When one is on diabetes medication, one still has to abstain from eating anything one want. Healthy diet to control diabetes is must.
Fats don’t matter
According to American Heart Association, type 2 diabetes increases risk of heart attack and stroke. One of the reason is that many people with diabetes are overweight. They often have high blood pressure or blood cholesterol levels.So to get rid of risk of heart trouble, limit saturated fat in diet.