Diabetes is an ailment wherein blood sugar or blood glucose level goes up consistently. Prevention is better than cure and so by following certain rules, we can keep our blood sugar level stable to control and reverse diabetes which is the main cause of diabetes.
We are aware of the fact that any kind of disease requires immediate treatment as otherwise it may get aggravated. People are not aware of the consequences of diabetes which can cause obesity, kidney complications, and heart ailments.
Diabetes has no treatment via drugs till this date but it can be controlled by keeping a check on the diet, exercise and blood sugar level. The right diet can become a wondrous treatment for this disease. Awareness of what to be included and what to be avoided in a diet is the key for improving the blood sugar levels.
[Also Read What causes Diabetes ?]
Simple Do’s and Dont’s for a Diabetic:
- Avoid junk and sugary food
- Abstain taking three square meals
- Avoid taking Potatoes, Corn, and Peas
- Avoid eating fatty cuts of meat and processed or frozen meat
- Say no to full-fat dairy products
- Intake lot of water
- Take fibrous food
- Recommended Vegetables are Spinach, Bitter Gourd, Okra, Eggplant, Sweet potato, Kale and Carrots
- Add certain Nuts and seeds such as Fenugreek seeds, Sesame Seeds, Date, Almonds, Walnuts, and Pistachios
- The recommended fruits are as below
[Also Read 5 Ways to Avoid Diabetes Complications]
Fruits for Diabetic Patients
Here are some of the best fruits for diabetics. These diabetes fruits are not low in glycemic index and also rich in micro nutrients.
The Types of fruits for diabetes that contain large amounts of fiber and have a lower glycemic index are:
- Kiwi Fruit
[Also Read Aahara -food for diabetes]
The key to eating fruit is to make sure you eat the right kinds in the appropriate portions. The riper a fruit is the higher its glycemic index, which means it will raise your blood sugar more than a food with a low glycemic index.
The Glycemic index is directly proportional to the blood sugar, riper the fruit, higher is the glycemic index. Hence low glycemic fruits are preferred for diabetics.
Based on the glycemic index and rich micronutrients, the following are the 7 most recommended fruits for diabetes
- : Properties
- : Benefits
- : The Right Serving
Apples are an excellent fruit to include in your diet if you have diabetes.
– Apple is a good source of antioxidants, Vitamin C and dietary fiber
– It reduces cholesterol levels, cleanses the digestive system, and boosts the immune system
– 1 small piece per day
Orange is the best citrus fruit for diabetics.
– The pulpiness of citrus fruit is a house for great sources of vitamin c and fiber.
– It lowers the risk of heart disease and Diabetes
– 1 small piece per day
Guava, an ancient remedy for many health conditions and diseases. Guava good for diabetics. The glycemic index of guava 12-24 = Low (very low for fruit). Guava glycemic index making them extremely healthy food for diabetics and those most at risk for developing diabetes.
– Guavas are a good source of vitamin A and vitamin C, dietary fiber and low GI
– It lowers blood sugar and reduces constipation during diabetes, and boost immunity
– 1/2 medium per day
Black Jamun :
Jamun is a seasonal fruit, houses amazing health and medicinal benefits against almost all diseases.
– Jamun fruits are rich in Potassium and antioxidant
– It increases insulin production, boosts Immunity and eliminates Pita Dosha
“Cloudy” pear juices are a rich source of antioxidants. The benefits of pears clears your doubt “are pears good for diabetics”
– Pears are rich in Vitamins and fiber
– It helps in Digestion and reduces Cardiovascular disease and cholesterol
– 1 small piece
Kiwi is a house of powerful health benefits for Heart. The following facts answer your question “is kiwi good for diabetics”.
– Kiwi is a good source of vitamin A & C, dietary fiber and high in potassium
– It lowers your cholesterol, reduces the risk of heart diseases and a heart attack.
– 2 small kiwi
Berries are among the healthiest food on the earth
– Berries are rich in vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, and fiber
– It helps in glucose processing, weight loss, and insulin sensitivity
– 1 1/4 cup strawberries, 3/4 cup blueberries,1 cup raspberries and blackberries
Fruits have many health benefits—they contain vitamins, minerals, filling fiber and antioxidants. Fruit can be beneficial to a diabetes meal plan if eaten in moderation. The key to eating fruit is to make sure you eat the right kinds in the appropriate portions.
Watch this video to Get a List of Carb Fruits & Vegetables | 10 days Diabetes Diet
Watch this video to Know Diabetic Friendly Fruits
[Also Read Fruits and Vegetables for Diabetes]
There are certain Myths and facts about Diabetes :
Carbohydrates are taken to be harmful to diabetic patients.
|Carbohydrate having a low glycemic index (GI) can be taken by diabetic patients. |
It could be oatmeal, whole grain bread, dried beans and legumes and low starch vegetables like spinach, tomatoes, and Broccoli.
Eating sugar causes diabetes.
| The intake of sugar in a lot of quantity is not alone the cause of diabetes. |
Overweight, high Blood pressure, living sedentary mode of life is certain risk factors that can lead to Diabetes.
3- Starchy foods
Starchy foods contain carbohydrates, and so they can fit into a meal plan.
People with diabetes shouldn’t eat too many starchy foods, even if they contain fiber, because starch raises your blood glucose and makes you gain weight but still one can enjoy any of them on sticking to the proper portion.
Ideal Diet Plan for a Diabetic
Ideal Fruit Plan for a Diabetic
Fruits are an impeccable source of all necessary nutrients in their purest form. Consuming fruits prevents your body from being a victim to numerous health conditions like heart diseases, strokes, obesity, high blood pressure and certain forms of cancer.
The common belief might make you totally abandon fruits if you are diabetic. However, there are numerous fruits that are low on the glycemic index and high on other beneficial vitamins, minerals, and soluble fiber. These fruits can be consumed in calculated quantities to replenish your body with all nutrients and also keep your appetite full.