Milk has always been a part of our diet from times immemorial. A day without milk in an Indian household is hard to imagine. Milk and its products have always been a part of the staple diet. This dates back to even mythological tales of Krishna and his love for butter. Not to forget the amount of tea and coffee we consume as a part of refreshment.
The doctors have always advised us to have a glass of milk in the morning and evening for the following reasons
- For strong bones
- To lose weight
- As a wholesome food
- Focus on children and infants to acquire strength
- For a healthy heart
However, recent studies have raised the question over the consumption of cow’s milk in humans. The surveys and studies are entirely in contrast with the above beliefs. Mother’s milk is essential for any newborn whether it is human or calf. It has been found that the only species to continue consumption of milk even after weaning is humans.
[Also Read Aahara -food for diabetes]
7 constituents of milk and dairy products which are not in favor of humans
- The cow’s milk has been found to have a massive amount of hormones and proteins required for calf weighing 80 pounds. It is not ideal for human kids weighing above 20 pounds.
- The proteins and hormones found in cow’s milk are found to be unhealthy for humans. The milk is found to have an excess of female sex hormones which does not suit humans. This leads to a variety of diseases eventually and thus is best to avoid in the first place.
- The dairy products are high in saturated fats and cholesterol and can be linked to heart disease. It has been established that a glass of milk possibly contains 20% of the ideal saturated fat that one must consume in a day. This fat can cause severe damage to heart with intense diseases.
- Milk protein is also connected to coronary deaths and hardening of narrowed arteries. The study from American Dietetic Association has found the above links in their studies.
- The researcher from the Harvard School of Public Health has found the links between the dairy consumption and hormone-dependent cancers such as testes, breast, and prostate.
- The contaminants in milk have raised many concerns. The bovine growth hormone administered to cows is found in the milk. This increases the risk of mastitis which leads to pus, bacteria and blood getting into the milk. The pesticide residues found in the milk is an additional growing concern.
- The cow’s milk is rich in calcium and also protein. The excess of proteins needs additional calcium for its digestion. Imagine this with cheese. Given the latest lifestyle trends, we use cheese for almost everything we eat. To neutralize this, the body has to burn a higher amount of calcium which proves that the assumption of calcium addition is entirely false. As per the survey conducted, the areas where in milk and dairy products were consumed in more quantity they found the people suffer from osteoporosis. This again proves that milk is not helping in bone strengthening at all.
[Also Read How healthy fats affect youths with Diabetes]
Milk is good for health is one of the strong beliefs instilled in us which now proves to be a myth. We have never taken a pause to question those beliefs. At the same time, the surveys and reports also need to be scrutinized at the same time. Have the growth hormones injected and change in food habits of cows resulted in the change? Or was it like this from time immemorial? We never know.
Only further questioning and research can lead us to answers. We have tried to go for the beliefs behind the cow’s milk consumption Vs. results from recent studies to create awareness. This gets even tougher for people suffering from diabetes given the mismatch in the blood sugar levels.
At SugarKnocker, we always vouch for a healthy living that is derived from natural and herbal products which is derived from Ayurveda. Not only are the ingredients in our products chemical free but they also ensure zero side effects.